The University of Alaska
The University of Alaska dates from July 4, 1915, when the Honorable James Wickersham, delegate to Congress from Alaska, laid the cornerstone on land near Fairbanks that was set aside by Congress for the support of a land-grant college. The Territorial Legislature accepted the land-grant on May 3, 1916, and created “The Alaska Agricultural College and School of Mines,” defined its duties, and provided for a Board of Trustees consisting of eight members.
The College opened for instruction on September 18, 1922, with the Honorable Charles E. Bunnell as President. The College became the University of Alaska by act of the Territorial Legislature on July 1, 1935; the Board of Trustees became the Board of Regents.
Today, the University’s statewide system includes university centers at Fairbanks, Anchorage and Juneau. The University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) has three extended colleges: Kenai Peninsula College in Kenai-Soldotna, Kodiak College in Kodiak, and Matanuska-Susitna College in Palmer, and an affiliate college, Prince William Sound Community College in Valdez. UAA also offers military education services at Eielson Air Force Base, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Fort Richardson Army Base, and Fort Wainwright Army Base.