Skills That Work
Career and Technical Education
Mat-Su College is fulfilling a commitment to address the workforce needs of the Valley by reducing tuition 25% for occupational endorsement program courses. Reducing course costs will help Alaskans who want to learn new skills, refresh, or complete a workforce training program.
The tuition reduction will be applied on a course-by-course basis. For a lower-division course, a 25% reduced tuition equals $159 per credit ($212 - $53 =$159). There is no reduction to assessed fees, non-resident surcharge, or other costs.
Occupational endorsements are skill-based programs, designed to provide students training in skilled/technical fields to fill critical fulltime employment opportunities throughout the Mat-Su Valley. Endorsement programs require 9-29 credits to complete and be posted to a student's transcript. Credit hours earned through the reduced tuition program are eligible to be applied to other degree programs.
Click the program headings below to see discounted courses.
- Computer Information and Office SystemsThe CIOS OEC's prepare students for career entry or advancement while developing and refining lifelong learning skills, fostering flexible career path options and building confidence to adapt to new technological demands in the workplace.
Title Credits CIOS A101A Keyboarding A: Basic Keyboarding 1 CIOS A113 Operating Systems: MS Windows 1 CIOS A130A Word Processing I: MS Word 1 CIOS A135A Spreadsheets I: MS Excel 1 CIOS A146 Internet Concepts and Applications 2 CIOS A101B Keyboarding B: Business Documents I 1 CIOS A101C Keyboarding C: Business Documents II 1 CIOS A115 10-Key for Business Calculations 2 CIOS A125A Electronic Communications I: MS Outlook 1 CIOS A140A Databases I: MS Access 1 CIOS A150A Presentations: MS PowerPoint 2 CIOS A161A Business Writing Strategies 2 CIOS A165 Office Procedures 3 CIOS A230A Word Processing II: MS Word 2
Learn more about CIOS, OEC requirements
- CISCO Certified Network AssociateIn CST OEC's, students will learn the latest version of Microsoft Windows Operating System as well as routing and switching technology using Cisco equipment.
Title Credits CNT A170 CCNA 1 4 CNT A261 CCNA 2 4 CNT A270 CCNA 3 4 CNT A271 CCNA 4 4
Learn more about Undergraduate Certificate in CISCO-Certified Network Associate
- Commercial RefrigerationA student completing the requirements for an Undergraduate Certificate in Refrigeration and Heating will possess a background in applied physics, mathematics, electricity, and the technical skills required to diagnose and repair modern commercial and residential heating, refrigeration, air‐conditioning, and ventilation systems.
Title Credits RH A101 Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Fundamentals 4 RH A105 Electrical Circuits for Refrigeration and Heating I 3 RH A122 Refrigeration and Air Conditioning 4 RH A126 Electrical Circuits for Refrigeration and Heating II 3 RH A132 Troubleshooting for HVAC/R Systems 3
- Conflict Resolution
Title Credits HUMS A223 Introduction to Paraprofessional Counseling I 3 HUMS A224 Conflict and Collaborative Systems 3
- Logistics Operations
- Medical Office Coding
- Office Support
- Residential & Light Commercial Heating and Ventilation
- Veterinary Assisting
- Take a Career Assessment - Learn about yourself and get career suggestions based on your interests
- Browse Careers - Find relevant data on wages, employment, and training you need
- Browse Programs - Discover the path that leads to your dream job
Open registration for fall classes begins April 16. To register for courses and programs at Mat-Su College, visit MSC Registration.
Gainful Employment Disclosures
The US Department of Education requires colleges to disclose information for financial aid eligible programs that prepare students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation. At the University of Alaska, these programs include undergraduate certificates, occupational endorsement certificates, graduate and post-baccalaureate certificates. The university is pleased to provide information including related employment occupations, program costs, graduation rates, and where applicable, median loan debt and job placement rates. That information can be found at the UAA Gainful Employment Disclosures site.