Matanuska-Susitna College (MSC) is an extended college of the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA). The University of Alaska Anchorage has been accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) since 1974. MSC was changed from its previous designation as a community college by University System restructuring in 1987. Now serving over 1,000 students per semester, MSC was known originally as Palmer Community College, and provided its first course offerings to residents of the Matanuska and Susitna Valleys in 1958. In 1963, when the Borough government was formed, the name of the College was changed to correspond to the boundaries of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough. The main campus is located on a 950 acre site on Trunk Road, about halfway between Palmer and Wasilla. A modern 102,676 square foot facility houses the majority of the educational activities.