Tuition, Costs & Payment
Tuition charges vary depending on the residency status of the student.
Alaska Resident - For information about qualifying for resident tuition please see the section below on Alaska Residency.
Non-Resident - Dependents of UA alumni, active duty military/veterans, and other categories of students may qualify for in-state residency rates. Please see the section below on Alaska Residency.
WUE - Residents of Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming may pay 150% of the Alaska resident tuition rate. Please see the WUE page.
Academic Year 2021/2022
- Resident $234/credit hour
- Non-Resident $800/credit hour*
- Resident $282/credit hour
- Non-Resident $848/credit hour*
Students who choose to audit a course are charged the same rate as those who take the course for credit.
* Non-resident students who restrict their registration to no more than four (4) credits each semester are charged resident tuition. Any credits registered beyond the 4-credit limit will cause all credits to be assessed at the non-resident tuition rate. Note: Tuition does not include activity fee or lab/material fees.
Be sure to include other costs in addition to tuition when planning your semester expenses. Other costs of attendance include fees (such as lab and material fees added to particular classes), textbooks, supplies, room, board, and personal expenses.
Students may qualify for resident tuition through one of the following means:
- Provide proof of Permanent Fund Dividend Eligibility
- Provide proof of physical presence in Alaska for two or more years
- Provide proof of graduation from a qualified Alaska high school within one year of enrollment
- Be eligible for an exemption of the non-resident surcharge as listed on the Application for Resident Tuition Assessment form
The Come Home to Alaska Program allows non-residents to qualify for resident tuition if they are directly descended from an Alaska resident. Click here for Alaska residency guidelines.
Students must submit a completed Application for Resident Tuition Assessment to Student Services prior to the add/drop deadline.
Nonresident students who restrict their registration to 4 or fewer credits each semester will be charged resident tuition. Nonresident students taking 5 or more credits are assessed nonresident fees on all academic credits.
Mat-Su College follows the University of Alaska policy. Please read the information on the University of Alaska Anchorage website for Senior Citizen Tuition waiver.
Mandatory Student Fees
Course-specific fees do not apply to every class. If an additional course fee is charged, it will be shown on the UAOnline detailed class information page. To view fees for a specific class, go to the UAOnline Class Schedule Search and click on the number for the class in the CRN column.
The following fees are only charged in specific circumstances.
If you register for classes, the University holds you financially responsible for that registration. Payment of tuition and fees is due by the deadline listed in the printed course schedule and the Academic Calendar. Even if you do not receive a bill, you must pay your tuition and fees by the published deadline. There will NOT be a University initiated drop for non-payment. You must drop your courses during the 100% refund period to avoid the obligation to pay. You are responsible for tuition and fees for courses not dropped during the 100% refund period.
Failure to meet financial obligations University policy requires a financial hold be placed on your record if you fail to meet your financial obligations. This hold will prevent any enrollment, transcript, or graduation activity. Interest, late fees, or collection costs will be added to your account. The past due debt will be reported to a local credit bureau. Unpaid tuition and fees will be referred to a collection agency and/or collected via garnishment of State of Alaska Permanent Fund Dividends (PFDs).
Agency sponsored students: All students who are sponsored by an Agency (WIA, DVR, VA, etc.) must contact their agency for details on how to obtain funding and the procedures required to register for classes. This must be done for each semester that they wish to register for.
Agency sponsored students are required to have all appropriate paperwork processed through Mat-Su College Accounting located in the Campus Cache by the payment deadline. If the appropriate paperwork has not been received by the payment deadline, the student will incur a late fee and hold will be placed on their account.
- Payment is due by the advertised deadline even if a bill is not received.
- You may call a cashier at 745-9739 option 1 for your balance.
- You may access account balance and pay through UAOnline.
- A $30.00 fee will be charged for each check returned to Mat-Su College and must be paid by cash, credit card, or money order.
- Effective June 1, 2016, credit and debit card payments for student accounts will no longer be accepted for processing by UAA and its affiliated campuses, including Mat-Su College. Credit/debit card payments will only be accepted online via UA's Touchnet PayPath and will include a non-refundable service fee. For additional information about this service fee, please visit the UAA Accounting Services FAQs.
- To avoid being charged the service fee for credit/debit card payments:
- pay online via web check (ACH)
- submit cash, check, or money order at the Mat-Su College Campus Cache, JKB 109
mail a check or money order to:
To be eligible for a refund, you must submit a completed Add/Drop form to the Student Services office on campus by the date listed in the printed course schedule and the Academic Calendar for a refund. Lack of attendance does not constitute dropping a class. It is your responsibility to insure that the request is received by the registration office. If you are taking a class for a grade and withdraw after the refund date, you will receive a “W” on your transcript and will not receive a refund. You may not withdraw from a class after the withdrawal date published in this schedule. Please allow 4–5 weeks for processing your refund.