The LRC offers a variety of options to assist students, including face-to-face tutoring sessions on campus and tutoring resources for math and writing.
Make an appointment
Call 907-982-7252 or go to https://www2.registerblast.com/matsu/Exam/List to make an appointment. Appointments can be made within 30 minutes of the appointment time. The tutor will email you instructions on accessing the online tutor session.
Live Homework Help is a free online tutor service brought to all Alaskan residents through a grant from the Alaska State Library and SLED, the Statewide Library Electronic Doorway. Live interactive tutoring sessions with real tutors are offered seven days a week from noon to 2:00 AM Alaska Time.
If a live tutor is not available, a variety of online resources is available 24/7 in various subject areas.
All students enrolled in Mat-Su College may receive tutoring in the Learning Resource Center (LRC). Math and Writing tutors are regularly available Fall and Spring semesters; the ASL tutor is available when scheduled. With each visit, students are required to sign in. Computers are available for students working on course assignments or accessing online resources.
The math tutors help with any math or math-related course offered at Mat-Su College and are available online during scheduled hours. They do not work homework problems for students but help them identify problem areas and understand math principles. Students in the same courses may be encouraged to work together with each other and the tutor. Resource books and tutorial videos are available in the LRC Library. The tutors can provide information about online math resources.
American Sign Language tutors are available as scheduled.
Writing tutors help with all aspects of writing, from reviewing grammar and punctuation to understanding essay assignments. Genres of writing, the writing process, and APA & MLA reference styles are common topics that are discussed with the tutors. Tutors often help students identify their own writing problems; however, tutors do not correct errors for students. Rather, they train students to understand academic writing principles and to identify patterns in their own writing that are not consistent with academic writing. To benefit most from tutoring services, students working on extensive writing assignments should seek help early in the process. Tutors can offer only limited advice when students seek help the same day that a lengthy writing assignment is due. Students are encouraged to make an appointment to meet with a writing tutor, especially towards the end of the semester when final papers are due. Appointments are limited to 30 minutes. Students who do not have appointments are welcome to sign in, but they may have to wait for an opening with a writing tutor. Tutors make every effort to meet with students seeking help. Resource books and tutorial videos are also available.
Please note that children may not be in the tutoring or testing rooms and may not be left unattended anywhere on campus.
Math tutoring for MSC students will continue online for the Summer 2020 semester. Call 907-982-7252 or go to https://www2.registerblast.com/matsu/Exam/List to make an appointment. Appointments can be made within 30 minutes of the appointment time. The tutor will email you instructions on accessing the online tutor session.
Tutoring Fees and Schedules
A one time fee of $5 per semester is assessed for use of all Learning Resource Center facilities and workshops. These fees are attached to Preparatory courses, 100 and 200 level English composition courses, 100 and 200 level math courses, and some 100 and 200 level social science courses. Fees are paid during the registration process.
Updated tutor schedules are posted on the LRC bulletin board during the early weeks of each semester. They can also be accessed through the link below.Math Tutor Schedules (Accessible PDF)
Math tutoring for MSC students will continue online for the Summer 2020 semester. Call 907-982-7252 or go to https://www2.registerblast.com/matsu/Exam/List to make an appointment. Appointments can be made within one hour of the appointment time. The tutor will email you with instructions on accessing the tutor session.Writing Tutor Options (Accessible PDF)
- Khan Academy offers a large range of online videos explaining math concepts in detail
- Purple Math provides practical lessons in algebra
- 101Science provides multimedia resources for topics ranging from arithmetic to calculus
- Launchpad Macmillan Learning's, Launchpad, is a resource to help students achieve better results. The goal is to increase confidence by providing a place where students can read, study, practice, complete homework, and more.
- Writer's Handbook This is a handbook put out by the University of Wisconsin’s Writing Center. It has good advice for everything from grammar and punctuation to citing references and providing an overview of how to go about writing common assignments such as critical reviews, research papers, and scientific reports.
- Writing Center This site, sponsored by Portland State University, breaks writing assignments into ten steps. Each step includes a list of questions and suggestions to aid in the writing process. Additionally PSU provides links to additional resources if you need more help.
- Paper Rater This is a free online grammar, spelling, and plagiarism checker. Simply copy and paste your essay into the text box, and the program quickly identifies probable errors in grammar and spelling; it also rates your word choices, vocabulary, and style. It even offers you a tentative grade for your paper. This would be an excellent tool for students who need help finding missed or inappropriate words in their writing or other minor errors.
- APA Style Blog This source is great for finding answers about how to cite those odd resources that don’t seem to fit any of the usual categories. Simply type in questions, “How do you cite a press release in APA?” or “How do you cite the title of a piece of music?” and most of the time you’ll get a trustworthy answer in a lot less time than scouring the index of the Publication Manual would take.