Placement exams measure competency in math, reading, and writing skills and enable an academic advisor to determine a student's appropriate entry level of instruction. Testing is available at Mat-Su College with a UAA ID in these formats:
ACCUPLACER Placement Test
Students registering for English courses for the first time must take the ACCUPLACER test for placement in appropriate courses. Placement may also be required prior to enrollment in certain other courses and programs.
ALEKS Placement for Math Skills
ALEKS helps determine your level of skill in math and which courses are the most appropriate
for your enrollment.
Test candidates may take the ALEKS test at home or on campus.
* Test score may show up right way, though it may take a few days for the scores to be recorded by the institution.
Tips for test taking
- Relax! This is not a pass or fail test. Placement tests were designed to help students succeed in college. Test scores help students and advisors identify academic strengths and weaknesses and determine which courses will most likely help students succeed.
- Get a good night's sleep, eat a nutritious breakfast, and arrive/login at the testing session a few minutes early. These strategies can help examinees concentrate and gather their thoughts before testing.
- Pay careful attention to directions on each section of the test.
- Answer each question. ACCUPLACER is an adaptive test, which means that questions are chosen on the basis of each examinee's answers to previous questions. You may change the answer on a particular question before moving ahead to another question, but you will not be able to return to a previous question. It is better to guess than to leave a question unanswered.
- Eliminate one or more of the choices on difficult questions. This reduces the chance of choosing a wrong answer.